Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring (Not Very Much Of A) Break


Spring Break at BC is a very exciting time. Everyone wants to know where you're going to spend your nine-or-ten days of absolute freedom. Whether you'll be participating in an Appalachia Service Trip, spending your week at the beach, or heading home for the week, the week is highly anticipated and exciting. 

After an anticlimactic visit home for spring break last year, I decided that I would really try to make this year's break the best ever. That is why, when the University Chorale announced that they would be headed to Ireland for a spring break singing and sightseeing tour, I was one of the first people to sign up! I had never been anywhere remotely exciting before last week (my family pretty much sticks to New England), and I was ready for an adventure with some of my closest friends. 

We arrived in Ireland at 5:30 AM on Friday and immediately began touring the country. The first thing I noticed (aside from how scary it is to drive on the wrong side of the road!) was how truly GREEN everything was! Of course I had seen pictures, but nothing prepares you for that amount of green space and sheep. There are tons of ruined castles, monastic settlements, and homes that dot the landscape, and almost every road we traveled on was lined by farms. The cities were of course a little busier, but for the majority of the week, we were in rural areas. Over the course of our trip, we visited Galway, Killarney (pictured), and Dublin, and we got to perform in many spaces, including Galway Cathedral, and St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin (they were gorgeous). We visited the Cliffs of Moher, Aran Islands, and Blarney Castle - my friends and I even got to kiss the Blarney Stone! Our week was jam-packed with fun and friendship, so when I finally got back to BC on Saturday night, I was incredibly excited to see my roommates and my bed. Even though the week was exhausting, I know I will always look back on this spring break and be grateful for the opportunities it presented and the ninety new friends I spent it with!

Amanda
CSOM '12

No comments: