Monday, October 11, 2010

BC Sports Culture

Hey everyone! I just wanted to take some time to talk a little about sports at BC. My whole life I have never been such a sport enthusiast until I came to BC as a freshman last year. Sports were not really of much interest to me and did not play a part in my college decision-making. However, when I first visited BC I could definitely tell that Boston College students have an extraordinary amount of school spirit. Athletics, although they are not the only source of this school pride, definitely play a big part.

All of this intrigued me during the college selection process, but I did not really feel the full effect until I was handed my superfan shirt at my freshman orientation and began to attend football games in the fall semester. There is nothing like celebrating a touchdown in a sea of gold while screaming the BC Fight song at the top of your lungs. In addition to football, there are many other popular sports to attend at BC such as Ice Hockey and Basketball. Sports games are a ton of fun and truly become a big social event that you can share with your friends and fellow superfans. It definitely creates a large sense of unity and camaraderie that I was looking for in a school, whether it comes from sports or from academics (and for BC it is both!)

Another exciting aspect of the athletics here at BC is our rivalries, one of which is with our fellow Bostonians at Boston University. BC and BU usually duke it out in the rink with our Men’s Ice Hockey Teams (did I mention we are the national champs?) and also during the Beanpot -an exciting 4 game tournament between BC, BU, Harvard, and Northeastern (winner gets a year’s worth of bragging rights.) In addition to our rivalry with BU, there is also the “Holy War” between BC and Notre Dame. To the excitement of the superfans, this annual game took place on the heights this year where hundreds of us gathered to cheer on the eagles! (Take a look at the photo above of my roommates and I at a BC family tailgate.) Although we lost, we know there is always next year and we still love our Eagles. Once a superfan, always a superfan.

Not big on sports? Not to worry, there are tons of student at Boston College who feel the same way. Luckily there are many other great aspects of the BC culture to indulge in!
Questions? Email me at papastam@bc.edu

Thanks for reading!

Sofia Papastamelos

No comments: